Re: gEDA-user: Re: dxf?

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> As I recall a pcb "importer" is a concept not yet implemented in the HID way
>> of doing things, for it is not a printer and is not an exporter.
>.
>> Bert Timmerman.
>
>There's the plugin way of implementing.  It lets your code use the PCB API.
>DJ has examples of c coded plugins.
>
>I wonder if we could make a plugin with python somehow -- with or without
>a SWIG or other c wrapper?
>
>John Griessen

I'm working on one, but with a lib (so no direct python). Currently I
don't have any time on that project but I hope I can start working on it
again in a few months. It'll support all scripting languages GPMI supports
(tcl, php, python, ruby, lua, ghli (pascal), stutter (lisp)). It's a
plugin. Before I can get it all work, I'll need to find some way in the
HID API to provide interface for the user to run scripts (like tiling
scripts). For exporting it's easy, the export dialog is extensible. I
think there should be a similar Import interfce and a 3rd one, which I
can't find a good name for, to run plugin functions that would not
import/export but would change the PCB itself.