RE: dxf? (was: Re: gEDA-user: Making an odd-shaped PCB)

Hi Carlos,

I tried to contact Intermedius Design Integration two years ago in december
2004, and they never replied.

>From what I recall from looking up their website is that Intermedius Design
Integration was a one-man company.

Kind regards,

Bert Timmerman.

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: geda-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:geda-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Namens Carlos Nieves Ónega
Verzonden: dinsdag 6 februari 2007 19:12
Aan: n6nz@xxxxxxxx; gEDA user mailing list
Onderwerp: Re: dxf? (was: Re: gEDA-user: Making an odd-shaped PCB)

El lun, 05-02-2007 a las 19:33 -0800, Dave N6NZ escribió:
> Very interesting thread. Taking it a little off topic...
>
> A question that has come up in the past is the idea of importing data
> from a mechanical package to get board outline, etc.  As it turns out,
> I'm working on another project where I have been using dxflib, which
> is a C++ dxf reading library.
>
> What would pcb like to see from a .dxf file?  I'm thinking that
> exporting board outline and mounting holes and nothing else from a dxf
> file would be straightforward.  How might that be injected into pcb?
>
> One idea: with the code I already have, I could turn out a simple
> widget
> that:
> 1) looked for a particular layer name in a .dxf file, and ignored the
rest.
> 2) extracted lines, arcs, and circles, and ignored all other drawing
> entities and all entity attributes.  Presumably, lines and arcs would
> form a board outline, and circles would represent drills for mounting
> screws.
> 3) wrote out some cheesy well-formed XML that could be imported into
> pcb via something magical, or put through a style sheet to make
> something pcb wants, or some such.  Alternatively, the program could
> write something in a native pcb format.  Or somebody that understands
> the pcb format could volunteer to do a native back-end.

You may import drawings from DXF, but what about component positions, for
example? will you able to get a 3D model of your PCB board?

There is another open ASCII format designed for MCAD/ECAD integration:
IDF. I use it everyday at work to exchange data between the mechanical CAD
and the electronic CAD programs (in both directions).

Here is an article about it:
http://electronics-cooling.com/articles/2002/2002_november_a2.php

I remember I got the specs from a company called Intermedius Design
Integration, but I am unable to find the link right now.
The specs are also available at:

www.aertia.com/docs/priware/IDF_V20_Spec.pdf
www.aertia.com/docs/priware/IDF_V30_Spec.pdf

The mechanical CAD programs I have seen support versions 2.0 and 3.0 (they
are quite similar). There is a 4.0 version released, but the format changes
a lot, and I haven't seen any program supporting it.

Best regards,

Carlos