Re: gEDA-user: Re: ground plane fill

Peter Baxendale wrote:

For that matter, why
isn't it just automatic
that lines and arcs in the same net as the polygon
merge, and others clear?

Well, before the poly exists, or before any lines connect to it, how do you know what net it belongs to?

If the net is unknown, it would mean no polygons could
ever connect to anything - they begin life not
belonging to any net so all nets would be prohibited
from connecting to them.

> I have to admit, this is one of the few aspects of Orcad I actually
> liked better than pcb. When creating a copper fill you got (amongst
> other things) a drop down list of nets, and you chose which one you
> wanted the polygon connected to. This makes the connectivity dependent
> on the net, rather than some flag in the many bits of track on the
> board, which sort of made sense to me.

me too. Thats how it works in PCAD. I can't recall exactly how one did that in cadnetix but I know you didn't have to manually add thermals on all the vias.

-Dan