Re: gEDA-user: Re: LED 100 != 5mm LED ?

Andy Peters wrote:
On Feb 12, 2007, at 6:29 PM, Mark Rages wrote:

On 2/12/07, Kai-Martin Knaak <kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I trust only footprints I made myself and triple checked for consistency
with the specs. Is this bizarre?

It seems wasteful for all gEDA users to be doing this.

I agree with this ... there's no point in reinventing the wheel.

However, when an install of pcb comes with a warning that there are errors in the m4 libraries, yet doesn't say what footprints have errors (not to mention: why haven't these errors been fixed?), leads one to simply not trust the provided libraries at all.

Could you point me to where that warning is? It needs to be updated.

I certainly can't claim that the footprints are perfect, but they are getting better slowly. I can however claim that all of the m4 syntax errors and pcb syntax errors are gone.

My comment about it being strange that people trusted newlib footprints more than m4 generated footprints was based on the impresssion that the mistrust came more from what program generated them, not that someone else generated them.

I've been kicking around the idea of approaching the folks at pcblibraries.com and seeing if they would be willing to release a free use version of their IPC library for use with pcb. I've wondered if volunteering to do the work would convince them.

-Dan