RE: gEDA-user: Re: LED 100 != 5mm LED ?

Assuming you created a perfect footprint for your PCB application with
zero errors, does not equate to that same footprint being exactly
perfect for my application. Depending on board population techniques,
there could be a wide variance into what an acceptable pad excess should
be.  If I am soldering at home without a microscope, I may want 50-80
mils of excess pad to help facilitate soldering. If I have access to my
company's scopes, then 10-40 mills might be needed depending on the
pitch of the part. Pick and place and I may want no excess to help pack
parts. Bottom line, its tough to come up with a one size fits all
footprint IMHO.