Re: gEDA-user: VMPlayer Image

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 05:27:26PM -0500, al davis wrote:

> I think I am beginning to understand ..
>
> A Live CD requires no other software.  No operating system other
> than the one on the CD.  Hence anyone can run it, but with a
> reboot.

And while in the Live CD you can't run your normal stuff.

> I have not tried it, but can't you run a Live CD under VMware,
> Xen, Qemu, etc ...   all of them, with the same Live CD?

I don't know about using a LiveCD with any of those.  Maybe.

Also, I don't know anything about using Xen for graphic stuff, or using
Qemu for anything.

> As to the value of making the VM image ..  I guess if it is a
> step toward moving away from PSpice, etc ...  It's good.  It
> saddens me to realize we need to resort to a non-free product
> to accomplish that.

It saddens me that non of the free systems are easy to use.

However, if it is any consolation, the VMWare image format is published
and there are utilities to convert them to work with other systems.
Additionally, the wikipedia article for Qemu says that qemu can just
read these files directly.

So, if the original poster did share the VMWare image, people would
apparently be able to use it with completely free software, which is a
worthy goal.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd@xxxxxxxxxx