Re: gEDA-user: Next step questions

On Sun, 2007-02-18 at 19:57 -0600, Craig Niederberger wrote:
> Thanks, Peter!  I built and installed gettext 1.8.1, and it went a
> little farther.  It now errored out at a place which I don't get at
> all:
>
> autogen.sh running: aclocal  ...
> aclocal:configure.ac:486: warning: macro `AM_GNU_GETTEXT' not found in
> library
> aclocal:configure.ac:487: warning: macro `AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION' not
> found in library
> autogen.sh running: autoheader ...
> autogen.sh running: automake  ...
> configure.ac: installing `./install-sh'
> configure.ac: installing `./missing'
> src/Makefile.am: installing `./depcomp'
> configure.ac:50: installing `./config.guess'
> configure.ac:50: installing `./config.sub'
> autogen.sh running: autoconf ...
> configure.ac:514: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_GNU_GETTEXT
>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use
> m4_pattern_allow.
>       See the Autoconf documentation.
> configure.ac:515: error: possibly undefined macro:
> AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION
> make: *** [gschem/configure] Error 1
>
> Any ideas?
> Many TIA,
> Craig

Sounds like autotools isn't picking up your gettext installation. Since
you built it manually, I suspect that could be the problem.. Did you
install it to a non-standard location?

The macros you are missing are defined in gettext.m4, which on my
computer lives under /usr/share/aclocal (distribution installed gettext
development packages).

Looking at the autogen.sh script, it appears you can define the
environemnt variable ACLOCAL_FLAGS, to pass any extra arguments you need
to aclocal.

To add extra search directories to the M4 files, try:

export ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I /path/to/dir/with/gettext.m4"

before you run make. (Note that -I takes a directory, not a filename).

Regards,

Peter Clifton