Re: gEDA-user: Why use gEDA?

I think gEDA has some big warts compared to the commercial offerings.
For me, the big difference is that you can work around those problems
if you're technically savvy.  I've only used gshem+pcb to make a few
boards, and I've already spent a lot of time working on tools to assist
me.  A symbol generator, three plugins for PCB, several patches.  I spent
a lot of time writing a program to make box symbols a way a liked, but
then I used it to make symbols for 208, 80 and 44 pin parts and immediately
recovered the time I would have spent making those symbols in a GUI in
Eagle.  I was bitten by the PS HID's mirror options, but at least the
output is in human-readable PostScript which I can easily hack to tile
the boards and convert to PDF.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
<ben@xxxxxxx>