Re: gEDA-user: nets in symbols

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:06:57 +0000
Seb James <seb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Problem 2
> --------------
> I am placing this symbol in a design which is split into two regions, with
> opto-isolators connecting them. This means I have two ground nets, and I also
> have two 5V nets.
>
> Instead of using the nets GND and +5V, I have gnd_left and gnd_right and
> +5v_left and +5v_right.
>
> But... the nets in my symbol are GND and +5V. What is the best way to redefine
> these nets? Should I manually add the 50 or so ground/power pins to my
> symbol, so that I can wire each ground pin to either gnd_left or gnd_right in
> my schematic? Or is there another way of setting what the "GND" net in my
> symbol actually connects to? Can I redefine the nets for those pins after I
> placed the symbol in my schematic?

This is why I don't use 'hidden' nets, they get in the way when using multiple gnd/vcc.

I group all the vcc and gnd together by expected application, and add a line in the schmatic. All the pins are the same length so a line is easy draw.  But if an other application comes up, I have all my different nets available.

Also, Looking at your symbol, it might be nice to split your symbol by application. ie one symbol for each isolated half.  Just give them the same refdes and all is well.

I attached my 4part example.  Look at power and ADC. they show what I did.

I used djboxsym.pl[1] to make my symbols.

[1] http://www.gedasymbols.org/user/dj_delorie/tools/djboxsym.html

-Lares