Re: gEDA-user: finding shorts with gschem

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008, Stuart Brorson wrote:

> > I think I uncovered a subtle bug.  I replaced Vdd, Vee, and Vcc with +8V,
> > -8V, and +5V respectively and the problem disappeared.  I can't seem to
> > come up with a simple test case though.
>
> Just a guess.  Take a look through your symbols.  I'll betcha that
> somebody decided to make a "heavy" symbol and attached a power net
> directly to Vdd in the symbol.
>
> The way to check is to do a "grep -R Vdd *" in the base directory of
> your symbols.  Then look to see which symbols (if any) have NET=Vdd or
> something like that in them.

I did "grep -Ri vdd *" in the base directory of symbols.

I noticed the "net=Vdd" thing, but in connection with something weird in
4000/.  All of these symbols include a "net=VDD:??" statement.  This
created an interesting problem with power/vdd-1.sym which has "net=Vdd:1".
These statements are not case-insensitive.

The 4000/ symbols in question are 4016-2.sym and 4052-1.sym.

Now, in retrospect regarding the request for manual critique, I think
there ought to be a chapter specifically on the proper use of symbols in
power/.

--
David Griffith
dgriffi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx