Re: gEDA-user: finding shorts with gschem

> I did "grep -Ri vdd *" in the base directory of symbols.
>
> I noticed the "net=Vdd" thing, but in connection with something weird in
> 4000/.  All of these symbols include a "net=VDD:??" statement.

Does anybody use 4000 series CMOS anymore?

But no matter.....  these net= callouts are attaching the net VDD to
pin ??? IIRC.  I'm not sure what this would do to your netlist if you
put one of these in your schematic and tried to netlist it.  Nothing
good, I suppose...

Your best bet is to fix this callout if you are using a 4000 series
part.

> This
> created an interesting problem with power/vdd-1.sym which has "net=Vdd:1".
> These statements are not case-insensitive.

If you are using the vdd-1.sym symbol in your design, then this
attribute is creating a global net called Vdd, whether you want it or
not.   If you want this, that's fine.  If not, then you need to change
the name of the net to your desired netname, e.g. "net=mynetname:1".

> Now, in retrospect regarding the request for manual critique, I think
> there ought to be a chapter specifically on the proper use of symbols in
> power/.

You're likely doing it right.  The problem is that some of the symbols
have junk in them which doesn't belong.  This is an issue with heavy
symbols.  Caveat Emptor.

Stuart