gEDA-user: Gerbv superposition of layers

Hi - I wonder if anyone out there can clarify something for me...

I am using gerbv to view a set of gerber files. There is the option to
superimpose layers by AND, OR, XOR or invert.

I had two gerber files that were almost identical, with a few small
differences, and I wanted to compare them. I loaded them both into the
viewer, and set each layer to the same colour. However, i think my
assumptions about the superposition options must be wrong.

I would have assumed that if I selected superposition via AND the
display would show only those areas where there was graphic on both
layers - instead the display was entirely black

I would have assumed OR would simply show both on top of each other -
this seems to be correct

XOR would only show those sections where there were differences
between the two layers. It seems the same as OR though

INVERT would show all those areas where there was no graphic on either
layer, but it gives a blank display.

Can anyone explain what is happening here - its obviously not what I thought :-)

cheers,

Ben