Re: gEDA-user: gschem, More than one component found with name ...

On Feb 11, 2008, at 12:15 PM, Peter Clifton wrote:

> What is wrong with the existing symbols which requires you to make
> your
> own? (Consistent drawing style, errors in the shipped symbols?)

The library symbols are almost never exactly right. Missing
footprints, wrong pin numbers for the specific part you're choosing,
missing attributes, etc. And that's reasonable: millions of symbols
would be required to cover just the Digikey catalog. You *always*
want to customize symbols in a sane flow, unless you enjoy sitting in
gattrib setting 100 resistor footprints to 0603 one by one. And in
one of the flows I use, the PC board contractor wants specs like
"10WVDC X5R" in the BOM, and there's not even a standard attribute
for that kind of information (I use "spec=").

When you choose a symbol from the library, the chooser should prompt
you for a name and a copy should go into your project's symbol
directory. Then "Hs" gets you into your editable copy and you can
easily fix it. That also immunizes you against future changes in the
libraries.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx