Re: gEDA-user: multi-page hierarchy

John Griessen wrote:
> gene wrote:
>>> When you lay out your board you get this fun issue that your refdes
>>> for a 0402 resistor is about 5 miles long.
>> Really?  I haven't tried this yet - but are you saying the refdes gets
>> prefixed with the path?  It makes sense for the nets, but not the refdes.
>
> The path in front is what makes each refdes unique and each refdes is the whole path
> to a symbol.   If you present a simpler view it just means you are hiding the complexity somewhere,
> and at this point, gschem/gnetlist aren't hiding anything.
>
> John Griessen

Oh, I see what you mean.  This hierarchy allows reuse of a lower level
schematic - that is draw it once then instantiate it as many times as
you like.  This way, R1, for example, doesn't have to change for each
instance of the section. So I wind up with something like
/instantiation1/R1 and /instantiation2/R1.  OK, fine.  I can't say I
like that, but I get it.

I've always liked the notion of a unique base refdes per section. For
example, 4 analog front-ends.  All the same schematic, just 4
instantiations of it.  I prefer to number them like instantiation-1 has
refdes R100, instantiation-2 has R200, etc.

If I want to do this in gschem, I think I need to have my hierarchical
symbol point to another copy of the schematic, not the same schematic.
But it'll still have some prefix stuff attached to the refdes, right?

gene