Re: gEDA-user: gEDA Binary Suite v0.0.1 released

Hi Ales --

I just downloaded and ran your binary on my crufty SuSE9.1 machine.
It worked great!  Awesome work!

Install was very easy.  One minor snag:  The first time I ran it, I
tried to intall into /usr/local/gedasuite.  That didn't work since I
wasn't installing as root.  Then I created the directory
/usr/local/gedasuite as root, and re-ran the installer.  This time it
complained that /usr/local/gedasuite already existed, and asked me to
delete the directory.  So I deleted it and re-ran the installer as
root.  It worked this time.

I'm not sure what one could do to change this.  Maybe check to see if
the install directory is a system directory and writable, and if not,
then tell the user to become root and re-run the installer?  It's a
minor point in any event.

A second strange thing:  When I first fired up the program, I did
this:

1.  Sit in my $HOME directory.

2.  type /usr/local/gedasuite/bin/gschem at the command line.

3.  Wait a looooooooooong time while nothing happened.  At least 10
seconds, maybe more.  At first I heard the disk do a seek, but that
stopped after a while, and then nothing happened.  I was not running
top, so I don't know what the computer was doing......

4.  <ctrl>-C the (non-running) program

5.  cd /usr/local/gedasuite/bin/

6.  type ./gschem at the command line.

7.  This time, gschem started up within 3 to 5 seconds.

8.  Later, I went back to $HOME, and re-ran geda by typing
/usr/local/gedasuite/bin/geda, and it started fine.

I don't know why it took so long the first time around.  Did it have
to do with starting up a DBUS daemon, or something like that?  If so,
then we'll need to put something about it into the notes.....

> 	* Right now, xgsch2pcb is also linked to the executable name "geda".

Yay!  That's the right choice!  Good thinking!

> 	* The simulation programs will be added later if I can solve some
> 	  fundamental install and runtime issues.

Good idea.

Once you've shaken out any install bugs, how about posting a notice to
sci.electronics.cad?  If you don't want to do the posting, I can write
up a quick blurb and release it.......

One final thought:  This is for the Peters too...  I wonder if we
should put the project HOWTOs into a directory distributed with the
suite, and then put a "help" button into xgsch2pcb alongside the other
buttons which would open one of the introductory HOWTOs in some kind
of viewer.  Also, we need to develop some type of HOWTO explaining how
to start a project using xgsch2pcb, since there are several steps
required....

Thanks for the new gEDA Suite!

Stuart