Re: gEDA-user: gEDA Binary Suite v0.0.1 released

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the test.

> Install was very easy.  One minor snag:  The first time I ran it, I
> tried to intall into /usr/local/gedasuite.  That didn't work since I
> wasn't installing as root.  Then I created the directory
> /usr/local/gedasuite as root, and re-ran the installer.  This time it
> complained that /usr/local/gedasuite already existed, and asked me to
> delete the directory.  So I deleted it and re-ran the installer as
> root.  It worked this time.

I will make the "check for existing directory" a little smarter so
that you can create that directory as root, change the owner, and then
run install.sh.  I really don't want people running install.sh or
any part of the suite as root (which btw the binaries will not run
as root).

> A second strange thing:  When I first fired up the program, I did
> this:
>
> 1.  Sit in my $HOME directory.
>
> 2.  type /usr/local/gedasuite/bin/gschem at the command line.
>
> 3.  Wait a looooooooooong time while nothing happened.  At least 10
> seconds, maybe more.  At first I heard the disk do a seek, but that
> stopped after a while, and then nothing happened.  I was not running
> top, so I don't know what the computer was doing......

The OS was probably loading up the shared libraries into
memory/buffers.  I am guessing that if you reboot your box, you will
see the same behavior again.  Let it run for a little bit (a minute
max) and if it still doesn't launch, something else is going wrong.
Either way, I'll add a note to the README.

[snip]
> I don't know why it took so long the first time around.  Did it have
> to do with starting up a DBUS daemon, or something like that?  If so,
> then we'll need to put something about it into the notes.....

The dbus stuff is only used when use xgsch2pcb.  Did that work on your
box?  Where you able to create a project, add/edit a schematic, then
edit the pcb (leaving it open), modify the schematic, and then update
the opened pcb?

> Once you've shaken out any install bugs, how about posting a notice to
> sci.electronics.cad?  If you don't want to do the posting, I can write
> up a quick blurb and release it.......

Yeah, that's a good idea. I will do a posting at some point.  I want to
iron some more reported bugs and I'll do another version (0.0.2) soon.

> One final thought:  This is for the Peters too...  I wonder if we
> should put the project HOWTOs into a directory distributed with the
> suite, and then put a "help" button into xgsch2pcb alongside the other
> buttons which would open one of the introductory HOWTOs in some kind
> of viewer.  Also, we need to develop some type of HOWTO explaining how
> to start a project using xgsch2pcb, since there are several steps
> required....

I am willing to put whatever whereever.  The best place for such a thing
might be the gEDA wiki since that documentation is easily gotten at
via gschemdoc -m

-Ales