Re: gEDA-user: What is the logic in gnetlist/spice-sdb when to add a 'X' prefix to an identifier?

On Sunday 08 February 2009, Christoph Lechner wrote:
> Some of the diodes in the circuit are modelled by a SUBCKT,
> so I have to manually add a X prefix to these diode
> identifiers in the SPICE netlist (for example D101 => XD101)
> for the SPICE simulation to work. Because I hate this
> somewhat:
> How do I get spice-sdb to add the 'X' prefix automatically
> like it does for example for ICs? I'm using the file and
> model-name attributes to say what model to use.

How can it know?  You use a diode symbol, which is usually not a
subckt.  What you see is the way Spice is.

I recommend that you add the X on the schematic.  Doesn't the
netlister just pass the label through?

This is one of the reasons that those in the know are pressuring
for a shift away from the Spice format.  If you use Gnucap with
either Spectre or Verilog format, it doesn't care what the
first letter is.

Gnucap in Spice mode follows the Spice rules here, but I have
been thinking of changing it to ignore the letter when the
model name gives enough information to determine the type.  I
don't know whether the change is a good idea or not.  It would
not break anything.  It would just allow some that are now
rejected as incorrect.