Re: gEDA-user: PCB + GL latest (patch for indirect rendering support)

On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 08:06 +0100, Bert Timmerman wrote:
> Hi Peter and all,
>
> Peter Clifton wrote:
> > For those testing the PCB+GL branch
> >
> > git clone git://repo.or.cz/geda-pcb/pcjc2.git
> > git checkout -b before_pours origin/before_pours
> >
> > And to update (easiest I think.. but discards local changes):
> >
> > git fetch
> > git checkout master
> > git branch -D before_pours
> > git checkout -b before_pours origin/before_pours
> >

> What is:
>
> git clone git://repo.or.cz/geda-pcb/pcjc2.git
> git checkout --track -b before_pours origin/before_pours

I think the --track is usually implicit in the above, but the command
you're suggesting implies that the local "before_pours" branch doesn't
exist.

I'm not sure how well that plays with a mirrored stgit branch (when I
push, and you fetch.. it won't result in a fast-forward merge).

Hence suggesting the delete local branch / re-checkout. It isn't
expensive in terms of fetching data (since it is already there).

> ??
>
> BTW: Peter, I just recently got a replacement DSL router from the phone
> company, so I'm behind on testing your stuff. Still have to reconnect
> the Fedora box. Wireless laptop with Vista (bweerk, cough, cough, ...
> hairball) has to do for now.
>
> BTW2: IMHO, now would be a good time to get your OpenGL branch in the
> gplgeda.org/pcb.git repo as a separate HID and/or branch as to lower the
> treshold for testing. (just swap branches and recompile :-)

I would have to split it up from the other random crap that I'm carrying
in that branch, and would probably also have to transition to the
"merge" workflow, giving up stgit (which I don't want to do).

I'm loving stgit for the ability to go back, edit patches and produce a
sensible and small working patch series. Once I'm pushing anywhere
official, it would be bad form to do much other than the linear log
history, which I think would end up with a really messy history, given
the way I've been working on this code until now.

But.. it is a possibility that it could live in a branch on gpleda.org
before it is merged. It is not a separate HID, and I don't think it
wants to be.

To take the freedesktop.org hosting model, I could ask if I could get a
~pcjc2/pcb.git repository on gpleda, but that would be almost no
different to what I've got setup on repo.or.cz.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,