Re: gEDA-user: Interesting board defect

Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 16:05:18 -0700, Eric Brombaugh wrote:
>
>> http://members.cox.net/ebrombaugh1/synth/armfpga/gnd_shorts.jpg
>>

> Solder mask is offset by a pretty large margin in this sample (~5 mil).
> Is this typical for BatchPCB?

Well, I've had mixed luck with BatchPCB.  Layer registration is
sometimes good and sometimes a little sloppy.  The picture doesn't
surprise me, I've gotten boards like that. I have also had some boards
come back with various mysterious shorts that were fabrication, not
design issues.

So... it's hard to beat BatchPCB's price for one-offs, but I've decided
to dial back a bit on how hard I push their technology.  I've never
gotten a straight answer from them anyway on design rule questions.

The other two places that I use regularly are AP Circuits and
PCBExpress.com (not to be confused with expresspcb.com) and the boards
are always much prettier, much much faster, and also pricier.  But how
many hours spent chasing fab flaws does it take to wipe out the savings?
  And that after waiting 4 weeks instead of 4 days.

I would use BatchPCB again, but not with anything but fairly
conservative design rules.  BatchPCB's fab is Gold Phoenix, I believe.
If you look at what kind of yield guarantees you get from a Gold Phoenix
quote, well.... I'm not impressed.

Too bad really, BatchPCB is a great idea -- and nearly always gives me a
result I like -- just not quite always.  Too bad their fab partner can't
be more consistent.

-dave