gEDA-user: gEDA-dev: Have we to bundle gaf packages?

This question is directed to developers and maintainers of gEDA/gaf (I
think Dev mailinglist is currently not active)

You may wonder why I am asking:
In the last days I had some discussion with the gEDA package maintainer
of Gentoo Linux distribution. As you may know Gentoo is a source-based
Distribution which tries to let its user many choices...

Gentoo uses scripts called ebuilds which handle install, update,
uninstall of software from sources.

Currently we have for gEDA an ebuild which installs all of the gEDA/gaf
core packages at once. This is libgeda, gschem, gnetlist, gattrib,
gsymcheck, geda-symbols, geda-utils.

This may be fine for most users, but the true Gentoo way is to let users
install only what they really need or want.

My current feeling is, that at least gattrib and gsymcheck are not
necessary to use the other tools. Indeed I can imagine users who use
gschem and gnetlist (with libgeda) but not gsymcheck.

My questions:
1. Is there a legal reason why all above tools must be installed only
bundled?

2. Is there a technical reason for bundling?

If unbundling is possible:
- Do all these tools need libgeda?
- Can each tool (with libgeda) be used by each own?

I think I read recently on this list that gschem needs geda-symbols for
fonts. Is this true, and can we imagine that someone may have a desire
to use gschem without the schematics-symbols?

Last related question: My impression is, that gschem is currently the
only one of all gEDA related tools that can use libstroke for "Mouse
Gesture support" and that gschem works fine without libstroke
if ./configure is called with option --disable-stroke.

I think these questions have some rationale, maybe for other package
maintainers or users too, so I hope not to wast too much valuable time
of developers.

Thanks

Stefan Salewski