Re: gEDA-user: gEDA-dev: Have we to bundle gaf packages?

Am Sonntag, den 22.02.2009, 23:19 -0500 schrieb Dan McMahill:
> > My questions:
> > 1. Is there a legal reason why all above tools must be installed only
> > bundled?
>
> no.

Fine.

> I can easily picture someone only using their own symbols.  I'm not sure
> about fonts in gschem.

Maybe someone can say a few words about how gschem depends on the symbol
package. I think I have read on this list that gschem needs fonts from
the symbol packages? Of course I can test this myself by uninstalling
all but the gschem package...

> I've actually wished for a single unified build that installs all of the
> tools

I think for people building from sources without help of a package
manager this is supported, I have seen a toplevel make file.

For Gentoo we may allow install of single packages (with automatic
install of all dependencies) and allow meta-packages which pulls in
larger collections (and all dependencies) of tools.

Maybe by names like geda-gschem (for gschem and needed dependency
libgeda) and geda-gaf for core tools and geda-suite for all related
tools.
Currently I do not know how to handle this, but Gentoo developers will
know, because this works for other tools like Gnome too.

Thank you for your comments.

Stefan