Re: gEDA-user: gEDA-dev: Have we to bundle gaf packages?

On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 00:24 +0100, Stefan Salewski wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 22.02.2009, 23:19 -0500 schrieb Dan McMahill:
>

> > I can easily picture someone only using their own symbols.  I'm not sure
> > about fonts in gschem.
> >

> Indeed, INSTALL text for gschem 1.4.3 lists symbols package as
> prerequisite to install gschem. And in geda-symbols-1.4.3.tar.gz
> archive there is a fonts/ directory with files named like A.sym.
>
> OK, nearly all users will need schematics symbols for gschem, so it is
> no problem that gschem depends on symbols package.
>
> But in my opinion it would make sense to put these font glyphs in the
> gschem package, reducing dependencies.

I'm not 100% sure, but it is possible that other tools implicitly
require them as well, since they might try to measure some text whilst
placing attributes (for example).

This is of course a pain in the backside for the new pango font stuff,
and not a problem I've yet run into (since I've not yet hacked out the
old font rendering / measuring code).

>  Is there any advantage to have
> gschem font glyphs in the symbols package? Maybe it is a result from old
> days when a package have to fit on a floppy disk?

Well, since the symbol library may be being split up into a minimal core
set of symbols + contrib packages for the rest of the legacy library,
the harm of having the fonts come along with the core symbol package is
minimal.

Especially if the old font its-self becomes a legacy when pango
rendering eventually takes over.

Most distros would hate you for putting data (like the font) along with
the binary package gschem, since they'd then probably want to re-split
it out into an architecture dependent, and an architecture independent
data-package.

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton