Re: gEDA-user: pcb join pad to polygon

Ben Jackson wrote:
On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 09:18:35AM -0500, gene glick wrote:
I made a polygon on the top layer, and I want to place a component pad within the polygon. Is there a way to make it connect without adding a trace? By default the tool places a clearance gap around the pad - so it doesn't touch.

Are you sure you want 100% connection like the other reply suggested?
That can be very hard to solder, especially on a multilayer board where
the top is well "stitched" to internal ground layers.  I really think
pads should have the same "thermal" feature that pins do, but since they
don't I just draw lines and set *them* to merge with the poly.  If I want
low impedence I just make a "+" of wires.

Hmm, maybe - maybe not. Here's the scoop: first is a connector, with through hole pins. It can't use solid connections otherwise I'll never be able to solder to it - or remove it. This thing runs on +/-50V rails, and is high current. It connects to a 0.01 Ohm surface mount resistor (2512) used for current monitoring. This circuit is set to trip at about 17A. This is peak stuff, not average. Maybe I should look up how fat a 1/2 ounce trace needs to be to handle that sort of current. Maybe it's sufficient to make the track no larger than the width of the 2512 resistor?

gene