Re: gEDA-user: what does "Error while clipping PBO_SUB: 3" mean?

On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 11:43 +0000, Peter Clifton wrote:

> The fact I don't see complaining - either means that I'm not taking
> the
> required steps to reproduce (ie.. what is subtracting from the polygon
> if your lines are on a different layer?)

Ok - read your bug report properly this time - and got answers to most
of my questions.

The following remain though.. what are the arcs and lines left on the
component layer for? Just to show the outline?

How have you constructed a polygon which has a hole in it (Or is it not
meant to have a big hole?)

PCB does not support defining a single ground-plane polygon with a hole
in it. It can subtract holes out of one, but it does not support you
defining its shape as anything other than a hole-less outline.

If you have basically created a "C" shape, where the two ends of the C
touch infintesimally, that "ought" to work, but if becomes very easy for
numerical errors to get parts of the polygon self-intersecting.

Could you elaborate how the polygon was constructed - obviously its too
complex to have drawn by hand. I can imagine either a computer program,
or using arcs + lines to clear away copper, then using the
"MorphPolygons" action.

As you might imagine though, scanning lists of coordinates in the PCB
file isn't particularly easy to do - and I don't have any debugging
tools to help show the order in which a polygon contour is created.