gEDA-user: Changing key bindings in PCB

I see in a message here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/geda-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg01523.html
that it's supposedly possible to change the key bindings for gschem
and pcb from the menus themselves by hovering over the menu option and
pressing the keys that you want to associate with the action.  I've
changed the appropriate flag in gconf-editor
(desktop/gnome/interface/can_change_accels) and it still doesn't work.
 Is there some other way to change the key bindings and add new ones
that's not documented somewhere?  I tried editing the ~/.pcb-menu.res
as well with no changes either.

Thanks-
Larry