From: Dave N6NZ <n6nz@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: gEDA-user: Is it possible to do square holes in PCB?
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:08:15 -0800
Mailer: Apple Mail (2.1077)

On Feb 21, 2010, at 2:01 PM, Mark Rages wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Anthony Shanks <yamazakir2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Some parts have mounting brackets that are square, not round. Yes I
>> know I can make a equivalent circlular hole that would fit but it
>> wastes a lot of space doing that and it interferes with routing.
>>

> Have you talked to your board house about this?
>
> I wonder what happens if you specify a reuleaux drill in the fab drawing...

How large is the square that you need?  At some point, this is just another routed cut-out.  You end up with a corner radius the size of the router bit in use, or else you can route a little past the corner to clear the corner of your square bracket.  You would have to talk to your PCB house, but I'd be thinking along the lines of agreeing on what router bit is going to be used, and then adding a layer where the tracks represent the centerline of the routing operations.  Wacky board shapes done by a CNC router are nothing new, routed cut-outs fall into that category. I'm sure your PCB house has a preferred way of getting the information.  They will no doubt charge you the full freight, though, I don't know of any prototype service that does non-rectangular boards, although they might exist.

-dave