Re: gEDA-user: any last minute advice prior to sending out for PCB fab

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:01 PM, gene glick <carzrgr8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> After a very long time, I am just about ready to send out 3 different boards
> for fab.  I would appreciate any advice to improve my chances of success.

I'm making the assumption you will have a contractor build quantities someday,
in automated equipment.  These will (at least should) lower production costs:

Do you have at least three Fudicuals on all of your boards?
I typically place at least three.  One on each long edge of the board in a line,
with the third centered in the middle of the line on the opposite
edge, like a sideways triangle:

*

          *

*

These compensate for film stretching, board alignment during assembly etc.

Have you specified tooling holes for panels?:

1/4" waste material around all sided, 0.125" tooling hole in each
corner of the waste materiel, of each panel.  Fudicals on the waste material.

Have you specified how to route and/or score the boards?
Do you care if you have secondary sanding operations (you don't wan't those)?
Do you have any ceramic caps or such along an edge that will break
when boards are depanalized from descoring?

Have you put Fudicuals on components, such as tiny QFN packages, or
even massive TQFP and BGAs.
Always a nice touch, but frequently not room.  Really helps out if
parts are at  angles to the board edge.
Two, one each in diagonal corners of the package.

Having to many Fudicuals is bad, more than four to six per boad, and
having them not in some kind of alignment makes them useless in most
cases.