Re: gEDA-user: Open Source mechanical CAD on the horizon

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 01:30:09 +0000, Peter Clifton wrote:

>> If pcb is to export, or import 3D data, I suggest to choose freecad
>> format. This is fully documented XML with no NDA restrictions or
>> dubious backengineering. In addition, freecad will be able to export to
>> a number of standard 3D formats.
>
> VRML and STEP are the two most important formats in that regard -

IMHO, VRML is more geared toward computer graphics rather than mechanical
CAD. Both mechnical CDA applications I used at work, can export VRML, but
not import. STEP seems like the ideal candidate as it is specifically
meant to cover the ex change of construction data. But the standard is
not freely available. In addition it is a monster with thousands of
pages.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak