Re: gEDA-user: Open Source mechanical CAD on the horizon

On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 01:46 +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 01:30:09 +0000, Peter Clifton wrote:
>
> >> If pcb is to export, or import 3D data, I suggest to choose freecad
> >> format. This is fully documented XML with no NDA restrictions or
> >> dubious backengineering. In addition, freecad will be able to export to
> >> a number of standard 3D formats.
> >
> > VRML and STEP are the two most important formats in that regard -
>
> IMHO, VRML is more geared toward computer graphics rather than mechanical
> CAD. Both mechnical CDA applications I used at work, can export VRML, but
> not import. STEP seems like the ideal candidate as it is specifically
> meant to cover the ex change of construction data. But the standard is
> not freely available. In addition it is a monster with thousands of
> pages.

I met with the LiquidPCB developer today, and he's been working on a
STEP importer.. so there might be some possible overlap there.

He also mentioned that he has a DXF outline -> (geda-)PCB converter,
which he would make available if anyone wanted it.

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,