Re: gEDA-user: Open Source mechanical CAD on the horizon

Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
I just got aware of the open source mechanical CAD project freecad. It hit the debian repository a month ago. Although it is still lacking important features, much of the basic infrastructure is already up and running. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeCAD_(Juergen_Riegel)

---<(kaimartin)>----

Don't forget that for 3-D modeling there is BRL-CAD which is fairly mature. http://brlcad.org/

Here are some examples made by someone we used to see on the lists here.
http://ronja.twibright.com/3d/

The problem I hit with BRL-CAD was it had a horribly written build system. It was a shining example of how *not* to use autoconf. I got so frustrated by that I stopped playing around with the tool, but that was 4 or 5 years ago and I see there have been releases since then.

-Dan