Re: gEDA-user: Making circles in PCB

On Feb 25, 2010, at 4:01 PM, Vanessa Ezekowitz wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 14:57:20 -0800
> Dave N6NZ <n6nz@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 25, 2010, at 10:45 AM, DJ Delorie wrote:
>>

>>> Everything in pcb supports non-90 arcs, except for the ability to
>>> create them.  Someone needs to come up with a friendly way to
>>> create/edit arcs that aren't 90 degrees, that's all.
>> FWIW QCad has 3 pimary arc creation modes:
>> [snip]
>> Not that pcb needs to or should follow QCad, just posting the info for
>> reference. The "center/radius/end1/end2" method seems pretty natural and if
>> PCB did only that it would cover a lot of ground.
>
> The way I as thinking, the user could click once to set the center, make a second click to set the radius and the first endpoint of the arc at the same time, and a third click to set the second endpoint of the arc.  One might also want to support the control key to constrain the arc to regular steps like 22.5 degrees.

Yes, that makes sense for pcb, I think.  In QCad the extra click to set radius separately is convenient because the snap point (and snap type) for the radius often wants to be different than the snap point for the first end point. (*) But in pcb, I don't see that being much of an issue.

-dave

(*) QCad allows a variety of snap types, including "snap to intersection" which is a way cool power user trick. I usually create a layer of construction lines, using a distinctive color, and then set "snap to intersection".  That eliminates huge amounts of time spent trying to niggle 0.1mm adjustments to line ends.