Re: gEDA-user: I am such a troll for posting to slashdot

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Ales Hvezda <ahvezda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> http://hardware.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1564716&cid=31289534
>
> Let me be the first to apologize. :-)  Although, a couple people have
> posted that gEDA's documentation lacks in places.
>
> Any volunteers for: "Make a beginners interface that looks Eagle-ish".

I think this is a bad idea.  gEDA has a highly productive and highly
quirky UI.  Making a beginner's interface that resembles Eagle would
help to lure in beginners, but then it would become a barrier to
learning the full version.  At my last workplace one of my colleagues
expressed interest in learning Vim, so I set him up with Cream since
it has a "more familiar" UI.  It helped him to get started, sure.  But
it meant that I had a difficult time helping him since many key
commands were different, and he was never able to move to regular Vim
since the UI is so different yet looks so similar.  It would've been
better for him to learn it the way the rest of us did: dive in
feet-first and use a cheat-sheet.

-Alan