gEDA-user: TO-92 Best Practices

Hey folks,

What's considered Best Practices for TO-92 packages?

I'm working on a project that involves a lot of discrete transistors in TO-92 packages -- the regular style, 3 in-line, no fancy triangular pinouts or lead forming or anything.

The TO92 package in pcblib-newlib seems to be larger than necessary, in pin spacing, pad size, and hole size.

Pin spacing: The actual package has the pins 50 mils apart. Is this used in practice? Or is it too problematic, and maybe it's more practical to just spread the leads a little by hand? Are there machine insertion issues? (Not that I care right now, but I'd like to be as uptown about it as possible.)

The TO-92 leads are 20 mils diameter. Would a 24 mil hole be fine then? And maybe a 35 mil pad?

Anybody have success (or failure) stories or advice?

  -- Don

--
Don Tillman
Palo Alto, California