Re: gEDA-user: Native Mac OS X?

On Feb 28, 2010, at 2:03 PM, Dave N6NZ wrote:
Someone with a Mac might like to try building gEDA and PCB with a native
version of GTK?
OK, I'll play dumb. I recently built PCB from git after naively using macports to make all the dependancies go away. How is that different from what I did?

When you run PCB, does it require an X server? In this context, a
"native" PCB would not need X11.app to run.

Ahhh... OK, I get it. Yes, my build brings up the X server. But other than the start-up time, that doesn't bother me. X11 is preinstalled as of 10.6 (or maybe 10.5, I forget which) so the hassle factor is pretty minimal.

If you use X11 a lot (I use it all day, every day) it pays to just put it in your startup items so it's just sitting there running. Starting it each time for every app is, well, pretty silly.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL