Re: gEDA-user: numslots=0

Vladimir Zhbanov wrote:

> This affects also the 'Symbol Creation Howto' and the gsymcheck symbol
> checker itself.

ack.
These are supposed to track the contents of the master attributes
list. So yes, gsymcheck needs to be changed in unison.

> Would you like to change gsymcheck behaviour (that is code)?

Unlikt the master atributes list suggests, gsymcheck treats missing
numslot=0 as a warning, not as an error. Make gsymcheck accept this
condition silently is no big deal.

> gsymcheck has some issues.

Indeed. So many of them that I gave up on gsymcheck long time ago.

> For example, it outputs errors or warnings
> when some irrelevant attributes, such as numslot, are missing in purely
> graphical symbols.
>
> There is also 'gsymfix' which should be used to fix some attributes
> issues. And in that case it also should be fixed.

good catch.

> (It should be fixed
> anyway because it wrongly sets the "XXX" value for missed attributes
> that violates requirements of the 'Master Attributes List' document e.g.
> to set footprint=unknown for symbols without known footprint and so on.)

BTW, digging into the scripts dir I found gsymupdate.
This pearl utility seems to be a convenience script to update symbols
from the time before the current slotting mechanism. Cite from the
source:
# Right now this program should only be run against symbols which are
# either version 20020527 or earlier.

Did anybody bother to test whether this script still runs correctly
with current versions of perl? Maybe it is about time to phase the
script out.

---<)kaiamrtin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak