Re: gEDA-user: locknames -> ignorenames ?

Bert Timmerman wrote:

> If the "lock" mechanism is not broken, please do not try to fix it ;-)

Currently, we have two kinds of lock mechanisms in pcb. One is mediated
by the lock tool. Objects locked by this tool are pinned down at their
current place. There is no way to select them or generally do anything
about them except for unlock.
The other lock applies to text only and is mediated by the setting called
"Lock Names". Unlike locked objects locked names can be moved, rotated or
even be deleted. It is just insensitive to a selected group of interactions
with the mouse.

I consider this broken by design. It is a deviation from the principle
of least surprise. And it gets into the way when communicating. What would
you do if I asked you to make sure, some text is unlocked?

> This is a great opportunity to create all sorts of "Heissenbugs" for not so
> often used code paths.

I find it hard top believe that pcb code is so brittle that a mere renaming
of variables is considered too risky.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak