Re: gEDA-user: Soldering iron tip turns black

John Coppens wrote:

> So, the soldering
> point has a fine layer of a metal which does accept solder, deposited
> during the manufacturing.

IMHO, this layer is usually iron and not that fine -- abut half a mm.
There might be some additional chemical "activation" involved. But I am
not sure.

> If the point was too hot, this fine layer peels off,

I'd say, it oxidizes. Unlike oxidized solder, this rust sticks to the
tip. It requires more force to rub it off.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
Universität Hannover, Inst. für Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211