Re: gEDA-user: transition of pcb internal units to metric (SI, mm)

On Feb 10, 2011, at 5:58 PM, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:

> John Doty wrote:
>
>> Consider that gschem is a very suitable tool for chip design
>
> See the subject line. This thread is about pcb.

Indeed. The trouble with pcb is that it *isn't* well factored, so it cannot be used to capture chip geometry.

>> circuit simulation,
>
> "usable", yes. But "very suitable", no.

Your opinion. I get good work done with it. The flexibility and scriptability that its relatively clean design enable make a flow using gschem much more productive than other simulation tools I've used. Minutes of thought replace hours of point and click.

>> symbolic circuit analysis, block diagrams, even hydraulics
>> (and, of course, printed circuit boards).
>
> If all you've got is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

If all you have is a Swiss Army knife, it's difficult to drive a nail at all. A good set of specialized tools is much more flexible.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx