Re: gEDA-user: General Layers questions

Martin Kupec wrote:

> I just did a patch implementing a bit better dragging that the old one
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/pcb/+bug/718235).

This is a nice one. It significantly improves the manual routing experience.

> I would like to start discussion what and how we want to
> do things regarding layers.

( snip )

> I hope noone has a problem with me digging into the code and patching
> it (probably more reworking it). Is anybody else working on some layer
> related stuff? I will have a look at bugtracker to see raised problems
> and patches.

Over the years, there have been a number of discussions on and off the
list. IIRC, there was a consensus, that the layer system is in need for
major refactoring. Currently, layers are quite rigid objects. E.g. a copper
layer cannot be turned into silk.

> Kai-Martin Knaak, can I ask you to start the wiki page on an appropriate
> place? You seems to have already done something on the wiki(s).

I started a page in the developers brainstorming corner of the wiki.
To get things started, I added some issues from the top of my head:
   http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:pcb_layers

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak