gEDA-user: General Layers questions

Hi all,

I just did a patch implementing a bit better dragging that the old one
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/pcb/+bug/718235).
I am willing to push it to git HEAD and than start some work on PCBs
layers.

It seem, that there are a few problems with the current layer
implementation. I have not looked yet at the internals of layer system,
but I hope it is not much worse than moving objects.

My question is: What is impossible to achive with the current
implementation and what would one like to achive?

I would like to start discussion what and how we want to
do things regarding layers. I am more programer than electrical
enginer, so I am not exactly aware of all the needs and way how
is it common to do it. Like:

It is not possible to unmask general shape. There is the possibility
with converting rectangle to pad, but that is probably not the best way.
Is the right way to have a layer of "negative soldermask". Pads and pins
will be there automatically and you would be able to add any shape
there? Or something else is better?

Also I am not shure if the 'outline' layer is capable of doing
everything you need.

There was also raised a question about solder paste.

The best would be a wiki page(supported by discusion here) on
problem/solution basis. So I can look at it after a while and decide
how much the code need to be changed.

I hope noone has a problem with me digging into the code and patching
it (probably more reworking it). Is anybody else working on some layer
related stuff? I will have a look at bugtracker to see raised problems
and patches.

Kai-Martin Knaak, can I ask you to start the wiki page on an appropriate
place? You seems to have already done something on the wiki(s).

	Martin Kupec