Re: gEDA-user: pcb commands to automatically select, cut, rotate, and paste elements

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 15:36:58 -0500
DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you know where each LED goes, why not put them on the board in the
> right place, instead of dispersing them then moving them?  Then you
> know where the Paste() reference is.

How exactly does one put them on the board in the right place without
doing it manually for each element?

At this point I don't have time to write an enhancement to pcb for
this, so I might just have to manually select and cut each part; maybe
if I do that I can still use the rotate/paste commands to automate part
of the process.

I guess the alternative would be to write a Perl or Python program to
manipulate the .pcb-file contents itself as text to arrange the
elements as required.  Unfortunately, after looking at a test .pcb file
with rotated elements, it appears that pcb does not simply store the
rotation angle of an element, but instead stores the element's pads and
silk lines with completely transformed coordinates... that means I
can't just change the coordinates and rotation value in the .pcb file
text as I had hoped.

Regards,
Colin