Re: gEDA-user: pcb commands to automatically select, cut, rotate, and paste elements

On Wed, 2011-02-23 at 13:20 -0800, Colin D Bennett wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 22:14:49 +0100
> Kai-Martin Knaak <kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > DJ Delorie wrote:
> >
> > > Or write a plugin that does a MoveComponent()
> >
> > A MoveComponent() action would be a major step toward general
> > scriptability. IMHO, this should be part of the core, not as a
> > volatile plugin.
>
> Is there some dbus support for controlling pcb?  I noticed the
> following entry in the output of pcb's 'configure --help':
>
> --enable-dbus           Enable DBUS IPC
>
> It would be neat if one could use Python or Perl another similar
> language to script pcb through IPC.

See xgsch2pcb sourcecode for how to do this. It currently just exports a
couple of methods for querying what PCB instances have which board files
open (so you can pick the right one to talk to), and to execute action
strings.

You could be able to script PCB using the command line tool dbus-send

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,