Re: gEDA-user: Please test new grids for GTK PCB

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 22:14:42 +0100
Felix Ruoff <Felix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 24.02.2011 08:17, schrieb jpka:
> > I prepare patch for new grid management, if you're interested
> > please test it: https://bugs.launchpad.net/pcb/+bug/724154
> > Thanks
> Hi,
>
> I have had a short test of your powerfull patch. I am not sure, if I
> shoud post my comments to the bug or the mailing list - I chose the
> list.
>
> Some comments (most of them for usability):
> - You often mention in the tooltips the shortcut '^M'. At my system
> this should be 'Ctrl+M'. I didn't know, that '^' is a short-cut for
> the Control key.

I attached a patch to the bug with my UI text edits, including
consistent use of "Ctrl+M", "G", etc. to refer to keys in the same was
as the GTK menu item shortcuts.

> - You are modifying the file 'src/hid/common/hidlist.h' with your
> patch. For this reason, the patch did not apply to my newly checked
> out repository. This file is not avaiable if you have just cloned
> git. I think, it will be created by autogen.sh or configure, I don't
> know.

I had this same problem (clean git tree also) and just deleted the .rej
etc. files and it was fine.

> - Is there a possibility to draw the dots of the grid, that are
> aligned with the dots of the next grid in the colors of the next grid
> or a bit larger?
> - The new default grid colors are difficult to see on my displays. I
> would suggest to use other colours by default.

Actually I would prefer not to have the grid color vary as I zoom -- I
already have the main colors I can differentiate used for other things
in the color scheme -- but then I guess I would prefer the grid size not
to vary either.  Maybe if the color stayed the same but the dots were
drawn larger when you zoom out, that would be a better way to indicate
that your snap-grid is not the same as your visible-grid.

(If you don't understand my objection to using a bunch of colors for
grid points, consider that there are only so many useful colors to use;
in my current color scheme I use red, blue, yellow, green, and white for
primary copper layer, secondary copper layer, selected items, pads, and
silk respectively.)

Regards,
Colin