Re: gEDA-user: General Layers questions

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 22:41:03 +0000
Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 23:04 +0100, Martin Kupec wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have written something to:
> > http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:pcb_layers
> >
> > It is still a bit work in progess, but you can start editing it to
> > fit your ideas. I have tried to incorporate all ideas discussed.

> > Contained lines, arcs, polygons,â
> > Rtree of contained ^^^^
> > Flag â flags described below
> > Type â type list below
>
> > Color
> > Selected color
> ^__ Properties of the view, not the underlying data - I'd prefer to
> abstract this to the renderer.

I agree that color does not belong in the layout file.  I may keep
changing my preferences on my pcb color theme, but I don't want to
update all my layout files to take advantage of an updated color theme
-- UI preferences like color theme should definitely not be included in
the .pcb layout file itself.  Also consider collaborative work with
other users who might prefer different colors than you.

> > Attributes
> > Dimentions â layer doesn't have to be across whole board

Is Dimensions more generally represented as a layer outline?

> > Layer types:
> > Cooper
>  ^___ Copper
>
> > Mechanical
> > Silk
> > Mask
> > Solder Paste
>
> Outline (as distinct from "Mechanical"?) I need to use a layer I can
> identify as an outline to render the board shape properly (GL renderer
> at least).

> > Layer attributes:
> > Visible â So i can hide it and not see :-)
> ^__ View attribute, not core data.

Maybe certain layers will be hidden by default, however.  I imagine a
"hidden" layer containing comments about certain parts of the layout,
which you usually want to hide since it will obscure the main layout,
but can temporarily be shown to see special comments about parts of the
layout overlaid on top.  For instance comments about critical traces,
etc.

> > Exportable â Should this layer be exported? Or is just for some
> > internal use
> ^__ I don't see the use-case for this. It might be a CAM job
> parameter, and could vary between CAM jobs. I'd prefer to see it
> defined elsewhere.

So CAM job might mean a PNG preview export might exclude a fab comment
layer or designer comment layer, but a Gerber export would include fab
comment layer.

Regards,
Colin