Re: gEDA-user: General Layers questions

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 01:49:48PM +0100, Stephan Boettcher wrote:
> With different annular rings, and clearance on each layer, and
> non-circular shapes, ...
I am not shure if it is possible to have non-circular drill holes in
gerber files. We can have the "pad" around the hole be of any shape,
but the hole itself probably needs to be circular.

> A via editor HID shall at least provide means to modify annular and
> clearance independently for top, inner, bottom, soldermask top,
> soldermask bottom logical layers.  The file formal shall allow to spec
> this for each physical layer as well.  When we are at that point, a via
> is a stack of structures on various layers.  The hole itself may then be
> just a circle on another layer of type via.

Good point is, that via should have different properties for different
layers. But I would line to keep via as part of the layer. If you would
like to have blind and burried vias, you would need "via" layer for each
physical layer. I want to be as versatile as possible, but also keep
things simple. Having 8 layers just for one physical layer will end up
in a great mess.

Currently it seems that physical layer will contain:
at least one cooper layer
possibly one or more silk layers
at least one mask layer - or should be "inner layers" without mask at all?
possibly one or more past layers

When I get an account on the wiki, I will write my current
implementation thoughts there and we can discuss it here.

	Martin