Re: gEDA-user: General Layers questions

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 09:45:40AM -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

> > I am not shure if it is possible to have non-circular drill holes in
> > gerber files. We can have the "pad" around the hole be of any shape,
> > but the hole itself probably needs to be circular.
>
> We can have any shape hole we want, if we export it as a gerber file
> instead of an excellon file.  However, that doesn't mean the fab will
> manufacture it.
I will stick with the current manufactors abbilities...

> > Currently it seems that physical layer will contain:
>
> My thoughts are that you have one or more drawing layers per physical
> layer, and you can add/remove them as needed.  Basically, you have a
> stack of drawing layers, with each assigned to a physical layer (by
> number, I suppose), rather than pre-defining what layers each physical
> layer "needs".

Ok, so instead of having sets of different type layers for each physical layer, we
should have one set with any layer. And when we want to put something on
some type of layer, we just find the right one?

> This is not much different than what we do now - we have layer groups
> (which become physical layers) and layers (which become drawing
> sheets), which we put into groups.  I'm suggesting a change of
> semantics to better reflect how groups *should* be used.
I have already suggested change of names for those, so
one has a hint what is he looking at.

	Martin