Re: gEDA-user: General Layers questions

Martin Kupec <martin.kupec@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 09:45:40AM -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:
>>
>> > I am not shure if it is possible to have non-circular drill holes in
>> > gerber files. We can have the "pad" around the hole be of any shape,
>> > but the hole itself probably needs to be circular.
>>
>> We can have any shape hole we want, if we export it as a gerber file
>> instead of an excellon file.  However, that doesn't mean the fab will
>> manufacture it.
>
> I will stick with the current manufactors abbilities...

Hmmm.  We had requests to express plated slots in this group.  If
somebody defines an extra via layer for slots, and draws polygons or
traces on it, the exporter should recognise that and produce a gerber
instead of a drill file.  The rest is negotiation with the vendor.

PCB will be able to check the connectivity by the via connectivity
attributes.

I'd love to draw square polygons (or better traces without rounded caps)
on a via layer and export to gds2 instead or gerber.

--
Stephan