Steven Michalske <smichalske@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Trashing the spam....
>
> Layers should get attributes.
> Conductive
> Thickness
> Resistivity
> Material
> Dieletric constant
> Are a few I can think of off the top of my head
>
> So a way to attach arbitrary attributes is a good plan for flexibility.
>
> Need for other kinds of layers. Like keepouts and part outline.
>
> Perhaps a layer plugin concept.  A layer that says it wants to be
> processed by a drc plugin of type foo.

And think about vias as well.  Those need a major refactoring as well,
to support custom via stacks, blind and burried vias.

IMHO, vias should be layers as well, with attributes that tell to which
conductive layers they connect.

So maybe it is a good idea to keep vias in mind when redoing they way
layers are handled.

--
Stephan