Re: gEDA-user: Advanced grids in GTK Pcb

On Mon, 2011-02-28 at 17:24 +0100, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> Felix Ruoff wrote:
>
> > Ctrl+- and Ctr++ are the suggested accelerators for this action by the
> > GNOME Hid-guidelines
>
> With the vast majority of gnome applications zoom is rarely used,
> or not at all. Scroll is much more common. It pays in terms of usability
> to have the most common actions accessible with as little hassle as
> possible. That's why binding the wheel without modifier to vertical scroll
> makes sense in the context of Gnome HID.

The issue comes when you do have true X and Y scroll bars on your input
device (e.g. many touch-pads), and in that case there is an unnecessary
disparity between the required user-action for horizontal and vertical
scrolling.

It would be ideal if we could defer to the user's system-wide preference
for the intended action, rather than defining this ourselves. It is
clearly an issue with no one "correct" answer - and platform consistency
is important to many users.

I watched several students using gEDA and xgsch2pcb today, and already
have a quite long list of usability improvement bugs to file (for
"someone" to fix later). (There was also a more serious bug where
xgsch2pcb chokes when you put spaces in your schematic names, due to
lack of escaping in the gsch2pcb project file).

> By contrast, zoom is one of the most common GUI actions in gschem and pcb.
> There is a down side to the bindings suggested by the Gnome HID: You
> always need both hands to navigate the layout or circuit. IMHO, this
> downside outweighs the benefit of bindings compatible to other
> applications.
>
> BTW, Peter Clifton has this defined in his localized branch of pcb+gl.

I eventually decided I prefer consistency with the rest of my desktop,
so changed it in my "local_customisation_..." branches. I can get used
to either way - but switching between the two is very hard!

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,