Re: gEDA-user: Life and death for gEDA: portability...

Hi, John.

John Doty wrote:

Bill:

The dependence on various packages, particularly guile and it's friends, could easily doom this whole effort. Imagine a random IT guy in a medium sized company has been asked to install gEDA on 100 Linux workstations. What does he do? So far as I've seen, a correct response on this guy's part is to panic, and perhaps put together a resume.

A competent "random IT guy" ought to be able put together a CD with the
tarballs and a script to do this. There are other approaches, too (NFS and
cachefs come to mind). I think your trouble is really more with RPM than
with gEDA: the idea that a single set of libraries can satisfy all
dependencies of all applications distributed in binary doesn't work very
well in the real world.

John Doty		"You can't confuse me, that's my job."
Home: jpd@w-d.org
Work: jpd@space.mit.edu

I agree with your point. Fixing the RPM dependencies on all the randomly configured machines would be most of the work. A guy who has to fix up dependencies differently on 100 machines probably should just start from scratch and build his own RPMs with captive binary libraries. Or, we could do it for him...

Again, if anyone is willing to create such RPMs, I'll test them on RH 8.0 and RH 9.0 on a few configurations.

Bill